SAT MAY 10 > noon
Brooklyn Boat Builders Bash:
A Celebration of locally-made boats, community boathouses and our borough’s proud nautical heritage.
Come one and all for a day of family fun and information gathering including tours, demos, boat displays, workshops and more. Explore our (free admission!) exhibits to learn about our rich history as America’s premier naval shipyard. Partners include:
- Village Community Boathouse. Join students from Benjamin Banneker Academy to paint and sand their newly-made Whitehall rowboat. This boat will call Prospect Park Lake home this summer, where families can take free boat rides. See their craftsmanship and learn more about the historical significance of this vessel. FREE | ALL DAY
- North Brooklyn Boat Club. Experience the process and technique of antique canoe restoration with demonstrations and hands-on participation including paddle carving. FREE | ALL DAY
- Newtown Creek Armada. Learn more about the past, present and future of Newtown Creek at this interactive portal station and remote-controlled boat display. FREE | ALL DAY
- Mare Liberum. Check out their 15 ft long paper boat and learn more about their initiatives and projects in their Gowanus home and across the city. FREE | ALL DAY
- Turnstile Tours. Visit the country’s oldest continuously operating Dry Dock! This brief adventure into the Yard includes a hands-on demonstration of how a dry dock works—fun and informative for the whole family. RESERVE YOUR SPOT | 12pm & 12:30pm
- Brooklyn Boat Works. Come see their Optimist Pram sailboat built by middle school students. Make paper-scale models of the boat to take home! FREE | 12:30 – 2:30
- Construction Kids. Get hands-on with small-craft boats. FREE | 12:30 - 2:30
- AND MORE!
Enjoy lunch at our on-site café, Ted & Honey, all day:
- Kids receive a FREE cookie when they share a boat-related fact when they order
- Happy Hour all day! T&H mixologists will be mixing up $4 specialty cocktails featuring Perry’s Tot—Navy Strength Gin